More than 22,000 images were submitted for this year’s Bird Photographer of the Year competition, all of which were sent in with the hopes of claiming the £5,000 top prize. But which one was chosen as the top shot? Take a look through some of the incredible entries and see if you agree with the gold medal winning photo.Continue reading “Winners revealed: Bird Photographer of the Year 2021”
As a few of you may remember, last year I was given the opportunity to photograph the celebs on the red carpet at The National Television Awards in London’s iconic O2 Arena. I had so much fun and everyone I met was so friendly and not snooty in the slightest! This year, I’m heading back to the famous spikey dome near the Thames, just unfortunately without a red carpet pass. That said, it will still be a fantastic evening – who wouldn’t want to be at such a big live event and get access to the VIP after party?!
This year, I have voted for the following programmes and celebs who I’d love to see win:
* Most Popular Talent Show – I love both Strictly Come Dancing and The Voice in equal measure, but in the end I opted for The Voice as I was lucky enough to attend last years live semi-final and it was an absolute blast! Plus, Strictly won last year so I thought I’d give someone else a chance.
* Most Popular Serial Drama – Coronation Street won last year due to the outstanding performances from both Julie Hesmondhalgh (who played Hayley) and David Neilson (who plays her husband Roy). It was an incredible story line, which gripped the nation. However, this year I voted for Eastenders as it is the only soap that I actually watch properly and have done for many years.
* Most Popular Comedy – I voted for the same programme as last year, The Big Bang Theory! As many people already know, I am more or less obsessed with this show and desperately want to see it filmed live in LA. However, last year the award understandably went to Brendan O’Carroll’s cracking show, Mrs Brown’s Boys, and I wouldn’t be too surprised if they won it again this year.
* Most Popular Drama – Unfortunately, I don’t actually watch any of the nominated drama’s that made the shortlist this year (Cilla, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey and Sherlock), however I think I gave my vote to Cilla in the end as Sheridan Smith is just so talented! Last year, not surprisingly (as Matt Smith was the most incredible Doctor there has ever been!), Doctor Who beat Downton to the award, although I’m not too sure they’ll be able to do that for a second year running.
* Most Popular Drama Performance – This was one of the easier votes to give. Sarah Lancashire played the most incredible character in the BBC’s captivating programme Happy Valley. Plus, she is a superb actress anyway! That said, she is up against Benedict Cumberbatch…
* Most Popular Factual Entertainment – I’ve always been a huge fan of Paul O’Grady, so to see him scoop this award for the second year, with his adorable show For the Love of Dogs, would be absolutely fantastic! However, the popular (not with myself I must add) programme Gogglebox, where you watch people watching TV (?!?!), has somehow found itself in the ‘Factual’ category… I’m sorry, but how could this programme possibly be factual?! Unfortunately, I think this one will regrettably win.
* Most Popular Daytime – I don’t think I’ve ever seen a year where This Morning hasn’t won! Don’t get me wrong, after watching Phillip Schofield’s 24 hour live TV challenge to raise money for the Text Santa appeal last year, he is one of the greatest TV presenters on our tellies. However, even with that in mind, I decided to give The Chase my vote this year as I’ve recently really enjoyed watching it and I end up learning so much from it, too. Sorry, Schofe!
* Most Popular Newcomer – This again was an easy one for me, as I think this actress brings much needed comedy to soapland. As soon as Maddy Hill (who plays Nancy Carter) stepped onto the square – or should I say carried over the shoulder of Danny Dyer’s character – I knew she would become one of my favourites and I’m overjoyed to see that she has made the shortlist! Last year I predicted correct in this category, with ‘Enders Khali Best (who plays Dexter) scooping the award – I even had the opportunity to congratulate him at the after party!
* Most Popular Serial Drama Performance – From one Carter to another, my vote was given to Danny Dyer, who again brings so much comedic value to the show as Queen Vic landlord Mick Carter. The two together are quite the double act and even though to begin with I was rather apprehensive for Dyer’s entrance, I’m so pleased the Carter family joined the cast!
* Most Popular Entertainment Programme – This was a tricky one as all four programmes are equally great in their own right. However, I think I voted for Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway this time because it’s the one I watch the most of. Either way, Ant and Dec have a 50% chance of winning this award as I’m A Celebrity is also nominated (and the show actually won last year, too).
* Most Popular Entertainment Presenter – Since Ant & Dec won this category last year, as well as the award above AND the 2014 Landmark Award, I decided to give my vote to the hilarious (and on many occasions inappropriate) Keith Lemon. I absolutely love Celebrity Juice and thanks to this programme, played the funniest party game with my American relatives… Don’t Show Keith Your Teeth!
* Most Popular Chat Show Host – This was another category in which I found it extremely tough to decide who to give my vote to – I literally enjoy watching every single nominee! Since they are all worthy winners, I had to alter the question slightly… “Who would I most like to meet?”. Even though I very briefly asked Alan Carr last year if he would have a picture with our Junior Photographers and thanked him for it afterwards, I’d still really like to meet the hilarious Chatty Man properly. Et voila!
* Most Popular Multichannel Programme – As I briefly mentioned a few categories ago, I find Celebrity Juice addictive and very much a feel good show, as it never fails to make me laugh! However, and this is probably the biggest however I will make on this post, it is up against the incredibly popular Game of Thrones. So in theory, it unfortunately has absolutely no chance on winning!
* Most Popular Skills Challenge Show – This was a coin flip between The Apprentice and The Great British Bake Off (not that I actually had a coin handy – typical!), as I thoroughly enjoy both. Thus having no coin to flip, I decided to vote for Bake Off as not only is Mary Berry the sweetest lady I’ll ever meet (albeit briefly at, none other than, last years NTA’s), but Mel and Sue’s comedy narration throughout is just pure genius!
* Most Popular TV Judge – Surprise, surprise, I voted for Mary Berry for this category, too! I don’t watch X Factor anymore since both Nicole Scherzinger’s and Gary Barlow’s departure, so that cut the shortlist in half right there (both Simon and Cheryl were nominated). I then dismissed David Walliams as I thought that he probably has lots of different awards for numerous things – although he does seem like lots of fun!
So those are my predictions/hopes ahead of next weeks National Television Awards – I can’t wait to see who wins! Also, if you’ve made it all the way to the end, thank you very, very much!
This post was written as a result of being invited to visit as press whilst I was working at NG Kids Magazine. Permissions given for all images used.
The lovely Monique over at Mind of Monique has presented me with the incredible Quartet of Radiance Award! This amazing honour came only a week and a half after my Liebster Award nomination, so I couldn’t believe it! I was literally floating on cloud nine the entire day.
I’ve tried to find the origins of this award but it has proven pretty tricky! What I have found however, is that this award is made up of four separate ones… The Influential Blogger Award, The Awesome Blog Content Award, The Inner Peace Award and The Sunshine Award. Yikes – what an overwhelming honour!
The rules when accepting this award are:
1) Thank the person who gave you the award
2) Describe yourself using the alphabet
3) Pass the award to others
4) Notify the nominees
5) Smile from ear to ear for the rest of the day!
My A-Z took longer than I first expected, but I think that was more because there seemed to be two appropriate words for each letter! Here goes…
A – Anti-bacterial hand gel: I’m known for having some in my draw or my bag!
B – Blog-aholic: a newly born blog-aholic at that…
C – Comic book heroes: I love DC/Marvel films & of course, The Big Bang Theory!
D – Duck Egg Blue: the colour that I’m super obsessed with!
E – Enthusiastic: thankfully, in everything I do.
F – Family: I’m extremely family orientated & wouldn’t know what I’d do without them.
G – Gerbera’s: favourite flower.
H – Hard-working: I couldn’t imagine being anything less!
I – Intelligent (98% of the time): I like to think I’m quite a clever little cookie in general.
J – Journalism: I love writing and being in the magazine industry!
K – Kids mags: I get to be a kid everyday… who wouldn’t enjoy that?!
L – Love to travel: love the thrill if discovery.
M – Music: it runs in my veins!
N – Northern Lights chaser: I will not rest until I have seen them with my own eyes!
O – Organised: to an OCD level… ask anyone who knows me.
P – Paralympics: was lucky enough to see London 2012 Paralympics, meet David Weir, go to last years Sainsbury’s Anniversary Paralympic Games and see The Last Leg broadcast live!
Q – (the) Queen: I just think she’s adorably amazing.
R – Rollercoasters: I’m a theme park junkie!
S – Shows (theatre): absolutely love everything to do with West End musicals.
T – Thai food: this is a newly introduced cuisine and I can’t get enough Dim Sum!
U – Unique: I love tonnes of things but thrive at filmed junkets 🙂
V – Volunteer: I love helping people and making them smile.
W – Willingness to learn 24/7: I’m a giant sponge… I love learning something new!
X – X-tra mile (cheating, I know!): I always give that little bit extra in everything I do.
Y – Yoga – it’s just incredible and really allows you to relax.
Z – Zumba – paaaaaaaarty!!!!!!
The blogs I am nominating are ones that I really enjoy, but unfortunately were unable to nominate for the Liebster Award. They are:
Nikkitarobert at http://penpadandthoughts.wordpress.com/
Natalieslovelyblog at http://natalieslovelyblog.wordpress.com/
Lifeoutofthebox at http://lifeoutthebox.wordpress.com/
Projectlighttolife at http://projectlighttolife.wordpress.com/
Bepresentyoga at http://bepresentyoga.wordpress.com/
Foodlikecake at http://foodlikecake.wordpress.com/
All images: http://julialidman.wordpress.com/
Firstly, thank you so very much to the fabulous Bepresentyoga for nominating me for the Liebster Award! I still can’t quite get my head around it! Secondly, when I started my blog at the beginning of the year, I could never have imagined that I could be nominated for any awards… I just hoped that a few people would read and hopefully enjoy the content I was producing.
A little bit about the award… It is an award that is given to bloggers by bloggers and has German origins, with Liebster translating as ‘dearest’. I’ve read that some bloggers unfortunately see this as an irritating chain mail style award, but I couldn’t think of any better way to give fantastic blogs the recognition they deserve! If Bepresentyoga hadn’t nominated me, it would certainly have been one of the blogs that I would have nominated, as it truly is one to check out! The rules to this award are as follows:
1) Thank the blogger who gives it to you.
2) Answer the eleven questions he/she asks.
3) Nominate eleven bloggers with less than 500 followers.
4) Ask these eleven bloggers eleven questions.
5) Let these bloggers know that you have nominated them.
The following questions are the ones that I have been asked to answer. Here goes…
1) If you could change careers and start a brand new one tomorrow, what would you do?
Without a shadow of a doubt, it would be a career as a Wedding Planner/Events Manager! It was always an equally split decision between working in magazines/publishing/writing-of-some-sort and going into the wedding planning industry. I can’t quite remember why I chose my editorial path over the other but I’m so glad I did, as not only do I get to work on the editorial team but I’m also the Events Manager from time to time! I’ve got the best of both worlds!
2) You win a 2 week vacation, all expenses paid. Where would you go?
Hmmm this one’s tricky! This is equally split between working with Orangutans in Borneo, working with Gorillas and Chimpanzees in Africa or going to Egypt to enter Tutankhamun’s original tomb (not this false one they’re going to build in order to preserve the original) and retracing Howard Carter’s steps in the lead up to his famous discovery!
3) You’ve been given one super power. What would you choose?
I was trying to think of one that could help others, for example be able to heal all illnesses… but then I started thinking about how there would then be too many people to fit on Earth etc etc. So instead, selfish I know, but I’d love the ability to breath under water unaided. Ever since I was little (thanks to the Disney classic which is The Little Mermaid), I’ve had a fascination with what’s under the water… all of the dolphins, turtles, coral etc and I’d love nothing more than to swim freely under the water without a hefty gas tank strapped to me!
4 & 5) You have the opportunity to create a cure for one disease. What would it be and why?
Hands down, cancer. It’s just a vicious pain in the backside and it needs to be kicked to the kerb. Bring on next months Race for Life!
6) You could have dinner and discussion with anyone living or dead. Who would you choose?
The Queen. Or the cast of The Big Bang Theory (more specifically Jim Parsons aka Sheldon Cooper)!
7) Favourite movie?
Annoyingly, I don’t have one favourite 😦 I never have. Although I would say anything from Disney/Pixar or DC Marvel.
8) Favorite childhood memory?
Going to Disneyworld in Florida… I just looooove Disney!
9) If you could make a living writing on any topic. What topic would you choose?
Holiday destinations/events. Just writing about fun, inspiring or daredevil things that everyone should have a go at, would be super cool. I’m happy to be a guinea pig, testing them all out!
10) Why did you start your blog?
I wanted to improve my writing ability and become part of a community, so that I could learn even more from people around the world.
11) You have the chance to guest star on your favorite tv show. Which show would you pick?
The Big Bang Theory. Easy peasy!
The next step of this award required me to nominate 11 of my favourite blogs. This was super hard to choose as all of the blogs I follow are amazing in their own way. That said, my chosen 11 are:
The following questions are for the above nominees… Enjoy!
1) If you could be any TV/film character, who would you be?
2) What is your special/hidden talent?
3) What is the first thing on your bucket list?
4) You win big on the lottery (over a million) but you’ve been told that you can only spend it on three things. What are they?
5) What is the best book you’ve ever read?
6) If you could go back in time and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?
7 & 8) If you have a role model, who is it and why do you look up to them?
9) What has been your proudest moment in life so far? (Either in yourself or someone else)
10) Tell us your favourite joke.
11) What is your biggest phobia (if you have one)?
I hope that my nominees thoroughly enjoy this award nomination 😀